Music by SpaceBlaze and YZZY


EPK
Quantcast

Music Player web
Quantcast

Show, don't tell... well, kinda

Friday, February 6, 2009 |

You know what's the best thing about having a blog?

 

You can say anything you want, preach all you like, talk about what you ate for breakfast, where you went last Friday, and pretend to yourself that people are actually interested in what you have to say.

 

Or perhaps you don't even care if people are interested in what you say, you're just happy that you get to say whatever you want in the first place.

 

I'm actually one of those people.

 

I have lots to say. I think that I'm a very well-informed person and that my opinions are very damn important. =P

 

And most importantly, I love to lecture.

 

Poor Lone!

 

Luckily for him, I have many blogs! And I can lecture in my many, many blogs, so I don't actually lecture him as much as I probably would without a blog. =)

 

Anywayyyyy, it just occurred to me because I was reading an author's autobiography about her writing and the way she writes. In the book, she repeats the often mentioned RULE of writing: "Show, don't tell."

 

I realized that I would make a really lousy writer, because I love to tell! And I have no idea how to show!

 

Then I started to really, really appreciate my blogs, because I'd probably die if I didn't have an avenue for my thoughts and my urge to lecture people about my opinions!

 

LOL!

 

And I remembered that I haven't been blogging here as much as I should have, and I decided it was time to show this blog some TLC with more blog posts, so...

 

here I am!

 

Like I said, I think my opinions are very damn important, so I'll impose one on my blog now. =P

 

I was saying earlier that the good thing about blogs is that you get to say whatever you want, and I think that's a very good thing.

 

Not just for me, mind you. For everyone else too.

 

We, as social human beings, usually need someone to talk to, a sounding board, an avenue for our thoughts... and sometimes we just need someone to just listen.

 

We all know how important it is to be a good listener because we've all loved it when we found a person who is one.

 

The point is, sometimes in real life, you don't find someone who you can talk to about things that really matter to you, because mostly you talk about mundane things, or things that you have in common.

 

In fact, sometimes it's not even about the things that matter, sometimes you just want to talk about what you ate for breakfast because it's the first time you fried an egg for yourself and you're so proud you just want to tell people about it.

 

But of course, tell someone about it in real life and they may just look at you blankly and smile.

 

Write about it in your blog, however, (and add pictures!) and you get kudos and congratulations from your online readers.

 

I remember when I wrote and posted pictures about the time I cooked for my family. I was so proud and happy that my aunt and some of my friends actually commented on it. (Thanks, guys!)

 

But even if you don't get a response, that's ok too, because a listener doesn't have to comment, and you will still feel that your words are being heard, because there are plenty of blog readers who lurk and read without commenting.

 

The important thing is that you feel like your thoughts and opinions are validated. Just by blogging. Because we all need to feel validated as human beings.

 

Don't you agree?

 

Oh, well, it doesn't really matter if you don't, because I do think my opinion on this matter is *very damn important* anyway. =D